Friday, July 5, 2013

Crazy week of ministry

The last group kept all of us extremely busy! We had a group of seven ladies from Pleasant Valley Baptist Church and a group of sixteen from Northside. They arrived in the Mole around 11pm, which was much better than 3 am. After unloading the bus, eating some Haitian spaghetti, and getting settled in we all went to bed. I actually stayed in Miss Beth's room while this team was here, because we needed one more place for a girl in the dorms. 

Saturday and Sunday weren't too busy. The teams went to Kapafu and Preskul and on the way back, were soaked by the waves. I was put in charge of the Northside team and when we got back from Kapafu, we went on a prayer walk which I already blogged about. That evening, I gave the opening devotion. Through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, it went really well. In the words of Miss Beth, I shared my heart and established who I am and why I am here. 
Sunday we had church in the morning and in the afternoon the medical team started preparing for the clinics while the others were at the beach. Miss Beth and I spent the afternoon preparing for the voodoo/abuse talk we do with teams to give them a glimpse of life in Haiti. And you can read more about that by checking out my previous blog. That evening ended our relaxing weekend. 

 It was great to have a weekend that was pretty calm, because the week was jam packed with activities. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday we left the mission at 9 and went to do clinic, VBS, eye clinic, and even had a lady that cut hair. It was CRAZY!! Monday we went to Savane Mole which is only about 45 minutes from the Mole. When we got there we set everything up and got ready for a busy day. It all went pretty well and pretty much everyone who wanted to go through clinic was seen. The VBS went well and the team did a great job just playing and loving on the kids. The eye clinic saw over 30 patients. Sue, the hairdresser, had brought relaxer that straightens black hair. At first the women were really hesitant, but as soon as Sue finished with the first lady, all the ladies wanted her to do their hair. It was awesome to see those women be pampered and loved on. The next two days went very similar like the first day except that we traveled almost two hours to the town of Marouge on Tuesday and stayed in the Mole on Wednesday. It made for an exhausting but incredible week of ministry. I often felt like I was running around in circles because I would check to make sure that everything was going well in the clinic, then I would walk over to VBS and make sure they didn need anything, maybe do some translating and then go check on the eye clinic. The eye clinic ran pretty smoothly so I would only be there for a couple minutes and then I would check on Sue. After checking on Sue, I would start the process  over. 

After an awesome last night with the teams, they left the Mole on Thursday morning. Even though there were some tears as they left, we ready for a break after three weeks of non-stop teams. 


No comments:

Post a Comment